Friday, December 31, 2010

Tacoma and Kitsap County Brewery Tour

Christmas is a time for family...and brewery tours with said family. My brother, brother-in-law, and father-in-law and I went to a bunch of breweries in the Tacoma (in-laws) and Kitsap County (parents) areas. Here are some pics.

First stop was to Trade Route Brewing; a small, hard to find, and really cool environment. Beer was okay, but it was $6 pitcher night so all was well.


Next stop was Harmon Brewing. Their beer was great, the pub itself was a little too hip for my liking, but hey...they have a walk up beer window so I was all in!




Kitsap County is on across the sound from Seattle and has a pretty good cast brewery scene. We started off at Hood Canal Brewery. They had some good beer but the highlight was seeing the DIY bottling line. I'll go ahead and file that one away until PoorHouse gets a little bigger.

 Silver City Brewing had the best beer of all the places I went. The pub was super busy (on a Thursday night), loud, and a little obnoxious but the beer was worth the trip. The Whoopass IPA and was extremely good.

 Merry Christmas to me! 68 ounces of Pliny from my brother-in-law :)
 The winner of the best environment was Elk Head Brewing in Buckley, WA. This place corners the market on good ol' country feel. Uncle Mark, one of the two guys in the red and black flannel in the second picture, told us to meet him there at 5 (they're only open from 2-7 daily). We got their early and stuck out like...well, a college graduate in Buckley :) When Mark got their the party was ON. We had a BLAST! If any of my readers goes up toward the Seattle area, Elk Head Brewing on a Friday night is an absolute must.



 After Elk Head closed for the night, Uncle Mark told us about a bar down the road that has, "Dollar tacos...they're like around a buck a piece." Sunny's in Wilkerson, WA, terrible beer, but the tacos were good :)
 Gaaah. We also had to try the Wing Dome 7 Alarm Chicken Wing Challenge. My pride was on the line. I lost. Andy won. It sucked.
The fire in my mouth was only match by the fire in my belly that night; however, both paled in comparison to the fire in my nether regions when the chicken exited my body the next day. Every time I sat down on the porcelain perch, I wished I would have thrown up more than jus the milk and ice cream they gave us afterwords.



 Last stop was the Engine House No. 9 Brewing. We didn't spend much time there, but they had a great NW Red Ale.


Suuper fun time. I'd do it all again in a heart beat...well all except the Hot Wings. There was nothing redeemable about that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment