Sunday, June 26, 2011

You Bug Me!

My first shot using Brettanomyces. Everyone is mocking me because sour/bug beers are lame, I beg to differ. I'm using a basic amber ale recipe, fermenting in ale yeast, then gonna leave it in fermentation for 3-6 months with the brett.
7 lbs GW 2row
.75 lbs GW Crystal 60
.50 lbs Castle Special B

1 oz Nugget @45
.5 oz Willamette @ 20
1 oz Willamette @1

2.9 gallons strike @ 165
1 gallon sparge @ 190

Wyeast 1968 London ESB for the first 10 days
White Labs 645 Brettanomyces claussenii for 3-6 months

6-22-2011--Well, I went to brewbrothers today and they were suuuuper busy putting stock away. I took that as an indication that they wanted me to weigh my grains and serve myself (just another reason I love going to brew bros). I brewed the next day and was pouring the grain into the mash when I realized I forgot to mill it. Lame. I went back and we tried to mill it semi-wet. That didn't work. I bought more grain, brewed, and everything turned out fine.
7-2-2011--Racked to sour bucket and pitched the brett with 10 oz of granulated sugar to sit and ferment/sour for 4-6 months.
8-1-2011--The whole 4-6 months was a pipe dream. Bottled today. Tasted...well, not good. We'll see how it conditions in the bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment