Friday, February 25, 2011

Brawl'n Stout

Brewing up another batch of Rogue Shakespeare Stout for a friend. I switched the roasted malt from Great Western to Simpsons and increased it from 6 to 10 ounces. I'm hoping for a little darker of a stout.
It was really cold out, Emilie's warming her hands
11 lbs 2-row pale
.5 lbs 120L Crystal
.5 lbs chocolate
1 lbs flaked oats
10 oz Roast Barley

2 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 30
.5 Cascade @ 2

Rogue's PacMan yeast


5.6 gallons of strike @ 170
Collected 3.5 gallons
3.5 gallons of (triple batch) sparge @ 185 (I accidently did 4.5 gallons geerrrrrr!)
Collected 4 gallons (oops)


Yeast nutrient @ 2

Priming Sugar:
3/4 cup Dextrose

Notes: streak of 3 perfect brew days came to a close. I need to lower the thermometer on my HLT because I put up too high and I can't sparge under 4.5 gallons. What I've been doing is heating up 4.5 gallons and dumping the extra down till I have what I need. Well, this time I forgot. Pre-boil gravity was like 1.050. I ended up with an extra gallon of water so I boiled for 2 hours instead of 1. All said I finished with just over 5.5 gallons, which is what I was shooting for. Post-boil gravity was just shy of 1.060. Catastrophe avoided. 
3-1-2011--Gravity down to 1.015. Tastes good. I'll bottle it tonight or tomorrow.
3-13-2011--I got a text from Mr. Brawley himself stating he's very pleased with the stout, the he gave a bottle to a couple of his friends (more brewing for me) and that his wife was currently horking down a bottle.