Friday, November 26, 2010

Ain't Nutt'n Free ESB version 1.2


Had a little bit of help on this one: Andrew the Growlcore Rocker and Scotty the Body came over to learn how to brew all grain (Matthew 15:13-14). Sort of the same recipe as before, but I'm quadrupling the molasses, rounding off the grain amounts to even pounds, switching from flaked biscuit to amber kiln, adjusting the hops, and switching the yeast. So, I guess it's a lot different :)
I'm also trying an new sparge technique; I've been fly sparging for a while now and I'm not getting the efficiency I want. I'm going with a double batch sparge where I batch sparge, then cycle that through a second time. So we'll see. I'm hoping for 70+%
By the way...grain prices have gone down at Brew Brothers, this whole recipe cost $12.78! It's kind of nice that the cheapest home brew shop in the freaking world is right down the street :)

Ingredients:
10 lbs. 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
.5 lbs. Amber Kiln
0.5 lbs. Molasses @ 45
0.5 lbs. Molasses @ flame out

Hops:
3 oz. fresh hop Cluster @ 60
3 oz. fresh hop Cluster @30
.5 oz. Brewers Gold @ 15
.5 oz. Brewers Gold @ 5

Yeast:
Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04


Water:
1.25 quart per pound
4 gallons strike @170ish
3 gallons (double batch) sparge @190ish

Extra:
1 Whirlfloc Tablet
1/4 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Notes:
11-27-2010--Preboil gravity: 1.035. Post 1.060. The double batch sparge worked pretty well, I got around 68% efficiency. I'm fairly excited about the molasses taste.

12-4-2010--Racked to secondary. I typically skip this, but when I took a reading (1.023) and even the sample was yeasty. Secondary will clear it up a bit.
12-8-2010--Kegged. I'll condition it for a while. Only doing that because I'm out of spots in the fridge.
1-15-2011--I've been drinking on this for a while, it's really nice and smooth. Great color, soft beginning with an alcoholic kick at the end. Next time I'll up the malt and relax on the hops, but all-in-all a really good mellow beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment