Friday, August 26, 2011

Bear Republic Red Rocket Clone


For our 8th anniversary, Emilie bought me a couple 22s, one of which was Red Rocket. It's another great beer from Bear Republic. I'm sure hope no one reads this blog, because I'm going to have to admit that Northern California just might have better beer than good ol' Or-y-gun. Not just might....they do: Bear Republic, Russian River, 21st Amendment, Lagunitas, Mendocino Brewing, Napa Smith, Firestone Walker, and Sierra Nevada--FRIG! Anyways, here's the description of the Red Rocket (Don't judge me, but I wonder if they meant anything phallic by the name. I'm not a gay or anything, but that name sure makes me think of a redheaded dude's....enough said). 
"Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized [oooooooo they said a swear word, they're soooo cool!] Schottish style red ale that traces it's origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors."


Jamil's recipe
Ingredients
Grain:
13 lbs GW 2-row (up from 12.4)

1 lbs GW Munich 10L
1 lbs Maltextro Carmel 38
0.5 lbs Briess Victory 
0.5 lbs GW Crystal 120
0.188 lbs Maltextro Chocolate


Hops:
1 oz Millennium @80
1 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz CTZ @10
1 oz Cascade @ 0
1 oz CTZ @ 0


Extras:
I keep forgetting to add the yeast nutrient. I gotta remember next time


Water:
5 gallons strike @ 164
Collected 3.75 gallons
3.8 gallons sparge @ 175
~1.8 gallons runoff 
Collected 1.8 gallons
~2 gallons of recirculated (that's right...I got a pump!)
Collected 1.9 gallons


Notes:
8-26-2011--Well the pump worked freaking awesome! I was able to recirculate with the extra sparge water and didn't have to hork the boil kettle up to the 2nd tier. The only down side is, the pump shoots out so much liquid that I had to run it through the chiller twice. Small price to pay for not having to get hernia surgery. I must have had a really aggressive boil because I started with 7.5 gallons, boiled for 80 minutes, and ended with 4 gallons of 1.082 gravity. Anyways, I added a gallon of water to get the gravity to the recommended 1.066 (it actually was 1.070, but i don't think it'll get down to 1.011 like Jamil said).
9-3-2011--Gravity down to 1.018 so it should be right on target. Sample wasn't as hoppy as I was hoping, but we'll see. Kegged.
10-20-2011--Good red, not as hoppy as the Red Rocket though, but good.

1 comment:

  1. Red Rocket would refer to a dog getting excited. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete