Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cycling with my Shirt Off Kentucky Common


I recently went to Hood River and had a sour mash beer at Big Horse Brew Pub. I talked to the brewer and he said the best beer to make a sour mash out of was an amber...so I found a Fat Tire clone, modified it, and am going to let it sit in the mash for 2 days. We'll see how it turns out.

Ingredients
Grain:
5 lbs Munich
4.5 lbs 6-Row
1 lbs (ish) Cyrstal 80 I say "ish" because I tossed in some extra on top of the half pound just to make it darker
0.25 lbs Victory
0.18 lbs Biscuit

Hops:
0.66 oz Fuggles @60
0.66 oz Fuggles @30
0.66 oz Fuggles @5

Yeast:
Nottingham Ale

Here's where it gets interesting. I'm going to take around 4 gallons of 170* water and mash for around 2 whole days, take my first runnings, then I'll take 3 gallons of 190(ish)* water for the sparge. Then I'll boil like normal. We'll see how it turns out.

Notes:
10-7-2010--Doughed in tonight with 4 gallons of about 165* (ish)
10-8-2010--Still warm. No yeasty funk yet.
10-8-2010--Buuuffff...it smells like death. I was thinking of letting it go another night, but I'm not sure I could handle it spoiling any longer.
10-9-2010--Finished. I think I have a headache from the smell.
10-16-2010--1.009. I think it's finished, but I'm going to let it go for a little bit. Taste? Well, it's sour and has a yeasty finish. So it tastes just like it's supposed to. I'm not ready to subscribe to the "latest craze" in brewing, or at least not till it's carbed :)
10-17-2010--Kegged. I entertained soaking some fruit in a secondary, but decided not to.
10-25-2010--It's certainly sour. They say it's an acquired taste. We'll see.
10-27-2010--After a couple days in the ked...I kinda like it. It's gotten A LOT more mild and the sour flavor's growing on me. I'm not sure I'll do this again anytime soon, but I'm glad I experimented.

No comments:

Post a Comment